Today's post is all about a true all-rounder in the kitchen, something that every one of you should have at home. What could that be? Yes, you guessed it - lentils!
You can use them in so many different ways and they are an important must-have in a plantbased nutrition. Whether curry, stew, salad, spread, roast or patties, you can prepare almost anything with lentils!
They are also very healthy because they are rich in iron, zinc, folic acid, magnesium and B vitamins. Lentils also provide you with a lot of protein and fiber. Due to the fiber, your blood sugar level increase very slowly and so it takes longer to get hungry again. Also a perfect effect, if you want to lose some weight.
They contain many essential amino acids and in combination with rice, for example, you can cover all 8 essential amino acids.
Lentils are a great source of iron and if you combine them with a dash of lemon juice before your meal, the bioavailability of them increases even more!
And best of all - they have a long shelf life, are cheap and you can often buy them without packaging or in bulk. The many varieties allow you even more variety in the kitchen. In our webshop you can buy yellow, red, beluga, plate and mountain lentils. Our lentils are from the product line “Bio Leben”. This brand of our company is produced to 100 percent in Austria. So, our lentils are from regional organic farmers as well!
You can also use the different types of lentils individually. For example, yellow or red lentils are ideal for curry or dahl, as they become very creamy when you cook them. Unlike mountain lentils, which tend to stay in shape and are therefore great for a lentil salad.
Today we would also like to show you one of our favorite lentils recipe: a classic vegan lentil stew
A lentil stew is easy, quick to make and great to prepare. Of course, you can change the recipe however you like and use seasonal vegetables from your region. We look forward to your version of the lentil stew and of course your photos!
What else do you use lenses for? Tell us your favorite dishes!
Classical Mountain Lentil Stew:
- 500g Mountain Lentils (soaked overnight)
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic gloves
- 3 Carrots
- 1 Paprika
- 5 Potatoes
- 1 Can Tomatoes
- 1 L Water
- Salt, Pepper, Paprika powder, Marjoram, Mustard, Caraway Seeds
- Fresh parsley
- Peel the onions and the garlic, cut it into cubes and sauté in a little vegetable oil until they are golden
- Add caraway seeds and paprika and roast it for a few minutes
- Chop the carrots, potatoes and peppers and add them
- Wash the lentils and add them as well
- Add tomatoes and water, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Finally season with salt, pepper and a little mustard and sprinkle the stew with parsley just before serving